Saturday, December 22, 2012

Auld Lang Syne

December 22. 

What just happened?  Wasn't it summer like two weeks ago?  Wasn't I just weeping into a bowl of homemade guacamole, lamenting to my Mom about the 4th of July camping trip my friends were all on?  Wasn't I just sitting on the deck at Katie's family's cottage cougaring on the neighbor boys playing baseball in the lake?  Weren't we all just ringing in 2012?

Last year I made the resolution to display more grace. Grace is hard.  It's almost as hard to receive it as it is to give it.  But grace forces everyone to grow a little bit, and I think that 2012 has been a year of incredible growth. 

Paul wrote to the Corinthians, "When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me." 

This year has definitely shown me the importance of "putting the ways of childhood behind me".  I learned what I can and can't tolerate, I learned the importance of honesty, and I learned that sharing your feelings (something I avoid at all costs) can be the most freeing thing.  I've also learned that the world doesn't end just because a friendship does. 

I've witnessed a greater change in my relationships this year more than any other.  Changes that have caused me to hold onto some tighter, and changes that have shown me it's okay to release others.  Let's chalk it up to the circumstances of being a 20-something.

I hate philosophizing and reflecting too much on my 20's, because, let's be honest, I'm only 25 and I have another 4 1/2 years to experience this period of time.  I feel like it might be a bit disingenuous.  I can't possibly generalize the entire decade yet, but I'll probably keep trying.


No comments:

Post a Comment